The science behind Phage Aid is relatively easy, and in the following, Dr. Julianne Grose of the BYU Life Sciences Dept. walks you through it. Phage Aid is based on three simple principles:
- Your microbiome can be easily overtaken by unhealthy bacteria
- These harmful bacteria cause systemic health problems
- Our phages destroy bad bacteria, making space for healthy probiotics
1. Your Microbiome Can Be Easily Overtaken by Unhealthy Bacteria
There are approximately 3 trillion bacteria in our bodies. Most of them are in our guts.
Some of these bacteria are beneficial, helping with digestion or other core functions, and some create health issues. Problems start when the bad bacteria take over the population in your gut.
2. Harmful Bacteria Cause Systemic Health Problems
The mechanism for bad bacteria to create health issues starts with the endotoxins on their cell walls. Our body recognizes them as harmful chemicals and initiates an inflammatory response. Sometimes the toxins become so severe, they can start a cycle of increasing inflammation response through leaky gut syndrome, which can lead to significant health problems.
3. Our Phages Destroy Only Bad Bacteria, Making Space For Healthy Probiotics
Phages are the most plentiful type of organism on earth, and they are already inside your body. What we did was isolate the phages that attack specific, unhealthy bacteria, so you can selectively cleanse your digestive system of them, making a space for healthy probiotics to take hold.